Wood Toy Spinning Top Alebrije Mexico Art Oaxaca Signed Artist L. Hernandez #3
- Museum Quality Colorful Alebrije "Toy Spinning Top" from Mexico.
- Wide/Diameter- 2 1/2"
- Height- 4"
- This colorful hanging spinning top is spectacular!
- The top has been hand carved and meticulously hand painted by the Laura Hernandez, sister of David Hernandez.
- David and his family are one of the most important alebrije makers in Oaxaca, Mexico.
- David's and his family alebrijes are found in fine boutiques, galleries, collectors homes in Mexico, the United States and Europe.
- Please note all the beautiful colors and detailed designs.
- This alebrije is signed.
- The wood used is either copal or pine wood.
- The multi-color spinning top is made of copal wood.
- Alebrijes (Spanish pronunciation: [aleˈβɾixes]) are brightly colored Oaxacan-Mexican folk art sculptures of fantastical creatures. The first alebrijes, along with use of the term, originated with Pedro Linares.
- What are called "alebrijes" in Oaxaca is a marriage of native woodcarving traditions and influence from Pedro Linares' work in Mexico City
- Traditionally, Alebrijes are carved and painted animal figurines that have become a form of symbolic art from Mexico. The word Alebrije means “imaginary” or “fantasy,” describing a style of animal carvings and other forms with exceptional paint schemes.
- This lovely spinning top works but can be displayed due to the beauty of the art.