Morelia, built in early 1525 as Guayangareo, and became the city of Valladolid in 1545. Valladolid was at the forefront of Spanish expansion into the state of Michoacan. In the 1650's the city constructed its main Cathedral and its Aqueduct, which brought abundant resources to the city.
Valladolid, was a regional center for commerce and by the beginning of the 1800's had become an educational center as well with several important colleges. At this time New Spain was sympathetic to the new republican ideas coming out of post-revolution France and United States. Young scholars like José María Morelos y Pavón became generals in fight against Spain, beginning a century of revolution, civil war and upheaval in the country. In 1828 Valladolid was renamed Morelia, to honor native son Jose Morelos. In 1821, New Spain became Mexico, the Spanish were replaced by the French, then native born rulers like Porfirio Diaz and ultimately in the 1920's the new modern Mexico emerged.
Morelia, has maintained the colonial facades in the City Center. This gives this modern city the look of the colonial period and maintains its beauty, sense of history and its attractiveness. The Compania de Jesus (Jesuits) built this church in the 1660's, after the Revolutions, many churches were either destroyed or converted to public use, in this case the church became a Public Library.
See our beautiful Art from Morelia, Michoacan and Mexico.