Wood Toy Cup & Ball Alebrije Mexico Art Oaxaca Signed Artist D. Hernandez #4
- Museum Quality Colorful Alebrije "Cup and Ball" Toy from Mexico.
- Wide/Diameter- 2 1/2"
- Height- 8 1/4"
- This colorful cup and ball toy is spectacular! The colorful details are amazing.
- The toy has been hand carved and meticulously hand painted by David Hernandez.
- David and his family are one of the most important alebrije makers in Oaxaca, Mexico.
- David and his family alebrijes are found in fine boutiques, galleries, collectors homes in Mexico, the United States and Europe.
- Please note all the beautiful colors and detailed designs.
- This alebrije is signed "Taller David Hernandez San Martin Tijajete, Oaxaca.
- The wood used is either copal or pine wood.
- The top is made of copal wood.
- Alebrijes (Spanish pronunciation: [aleˈβɾixes]) are brightly colored Oaxacan-Mexican folk art sculptures of fantastical creatures. The first alebrijes, along with use of the term, originated with Pedro Linares.
- What are called "alebrijes" in Oaxaca is a marriage of native woodcarving traditions and influence from Pedro Linares' work in Mexico City
- Traditionally, Alebrijes are carved and painted animal figurines that have become a form of symbolic art from Mexico. The word Alebrije means “imaginary” or “fantasy,” describing a style of animal carvings and other forms with exceptional paint schemes.
- This cup and ball works but can be displayed due to the beauty of the art.