Vntg Wood Hanging Mask Guatemala Folk Art Handmade Décor Collectible Warrior #2
- Vintage Wood Guatemala Mask
- Tall/Height- 9 1/2
- Wide- 8"
- Deep- 5 1/2"
- The vintage mask were made by an unknown artisan from Guatemala.
- The mask has a face of a warrior with a mustache, an eagle and wood feathers around his head.
- Beautiful Décor for any home or office.
- These masks were originally made for traditional dances.
- Mexican and South American mask-folk art refers to the making and use of masks for various traditional dances and ceremony in Guatemala/Mexico. Evidence of mask making in the country extends for thousands of years and was a well-established part of ritual life in Guatemala/Mexico when the Spanish arrived.
- In the early colonial period, evangelists took advantage of native customs of dance and mask to teach the Catholic faith although later, colonial authorities tried to ban both unsuccessfully.
- After Independence, mask and dance traditions showed a cretinism and mask traditions have continued to evolve into new forms, depicting South American and Mexico’s history and newer forms of popular culture such as lucha libre. Most traditional masks are made of wood, with others made from leather, wax, cardboard, paper mache> and other materials. Common depictions in masks include Europeans (Spanish, French, hacienda owners, etc.), Afro-Mexicans old men and women, animals, and the fantastic/supernatural, especially demons/the Devil.
- Great for collectors of South American and Mexican masks or for anyone that love masks.