Vintage Rare Juan Jose Ramos Medrano Nagual Ceramic/Clay Collectible Deer-Snake
- Rare and very colorful Nagual.
- Height- 8"
- Wide- 5"
- Long/Length- 7 3/4"
- These fantasy Betus Figurines are visions from the mind of internationally known artisan Potter Juan Jose Medrano.
- The vintage nagual is in the shape of a colorful deer along with with a snake coiled around it's body.
- Juan Jose Ramos Medrano is highly collectable in Mexico and though out the world.
- He is Candelario Medrano's grandson. He works in his humble home creating the most incredible art pieces. He transforms the pliable clay into colorful creatures that are then coated with betus.
- Barro Betus (ceramics rubbed with birch oil extract).
- Juan José is not a prolific artist and often when you visit his home, he has very little to sell. However, when there is work available, you may happen upon a real treasure. He process begins with "tortillando" or kneading the clay into unique devils, lions, roosters, churches, trucks and Tastuanes (grotesque figures inspired by a local ceremonial dance).
- The kiln is readied and fires pieces created several days before. The pieces have to be dried in the open air before baking them or they will explode. The firing is done at a very low temperature compared to other types of ceramics. Each figure is rubbed with birch oil just before firing, giving them a lacquered appearance once finished.
- The origin of barro betus dates back to colonial times and is surrounded by myths. The most frequent pieces of art are the colorful Nahual figures with the reputation of coming from a magical world. Nagual or Nahual (both pronounced [na'wal]) is a human being who has the power to magically turn himself or herself into an animal form, most commonly donkey, turkey and dogs, but also other and more powerful animals.
- This great museum quality piece will be amazing for any collector of ceramic art or for your home, office or as a gift for someone special.
- We will make sure your piece will be extremely well packed and insured.