Small Vintage Green Devil Mask Horns Wood Mexican Folk Art Hand Carved/Painted
- Amazing Wood Dance Mask From Mexico.
- Tall/Height- 13 1/2"
- Wide- 5 1/2" (ear to ear)
- Deep- 4 1/2"
- This amazing vintage mask is made of of one piece of wood.
- This strange and amazing mask represents a blue eyed devil and real horns. Although the mask is a bit worn out, it is an awesome hanging mask.
- The mask can can be hung in any part of your home, office or be given as a gift.
- When we are in Mexico, we find vintage and exciting pieces of folk art. We are always looking for vintage treasures to bring back to you.
- Mexican mask-folk art refers to the making and use of masks for various traditional dances and ceremony in Mexico.
- Evidence of mask making in the country extends for thousands of years and was a well-established part of ritual life in Mexico when the Spanish arrived.
- In the early colonial period, evangelists took advantage of native customs of dance and mask to teach the Catholic faith although later, colonial authorities tried to ban both unsuccessfully.
- Most traditional masks are made of wood, with others made from leather, wax, cardboard, paper mache and other materials. Common depictions in masks include Europeans (Spanish, French, hacienda owners, etc.), Afro-Mexicans old men and women, animals, and the fantastic/supernatural, especially demons/the Devil.
- Great for collectors of Mexican masks or for anyone that loves masks.