Rustic Wood Hanging Skeleton Mask Mexican Folk Art Handmade Pina Pina Signed
- Amazing Wood Skeleton Hanging Mask From Mexico.
- Tall/Height- 6 1/4"
- Wide- 4"
- Deep- 4 3/4"
- The rustic wood mask was hand made/carved by Mr. Pina.
- This was made by self taught Mr. Buzmaro Pina from Morelia, Mexico.
- Mr. Pina rustic creations are one of a kind
- His work is based on traditional masks made of the copal tree.
- The skeleton mask is painted with acrylic paint.
- The mask is hand carved and hand painted.
- Mexican mask-folk art refers to the making and use of masks for various traditional dances and ceremony in Mexico. Evidence of mask making in the country extends for thousands of years and was a well-established part of ritual life in Mexico when the Spanish arrived.
- In the early colonial period, evangelists took advantage of native customs of dance and mask to teach the Catholic faith although later, colonial authorities tried to ban both unsuccessfully.
- Mask traditions have continued to evolve into new forms, depicting Mexico’s history and newer forms of popular culture such as lucha libre. Most traditional masks are made of wood, with others made from leather, wax, cardboard, paper mache and other materials. Common depictions in masks include Europeans (Spanish, French, hacienda owners, etc.), Afro-Mexicans old men and women, animals, and the fantastic/supernatural, especially demons/the Devil.
- Great for collectors of Mexican masks or for anyone that loves masks.