LG Vintage Ceramic Bowl Potter Dolores Porras Mexican Folk Art Home Mermaid
- Vintage Large Bowl with Mermaid.
- Diameter- 16 1/2"
- Height- 4 3/4"
- This magnificent vintage bowl was made by Dolores Porras.
- Since 2010, the year in which this pioneer of glazed clay techniques passed away, and to date, the Dolores Porras Atelier has continued with the production of glazed clay.
- The large bowls and vases are found in museums in Mexico, Europe and the United States. They are also in private collectors homes.
- The bowl is made of clay from the surrounding areas of Atzompa, Oaxaca.
- The bowl is hand thrown and hand painted beautiful mermaid.
- The paint is made from natural paints.
- Dolores was born in 1937. From the age of thirteen, she dedicated her life to making pottery. In the 80s, she began to experiment with new techniques to obtain a greater variety of tones that, based on the oxidation process of metals obtained a glazed finish, beyond the green color used traditionally in Atzompa.
- The iconic creation of Dolores is the rimless bowls with mermaids. This bowl of 16 3/4 inches of diameter show an abstraction of a mix of a fish and a woman, with details in high and low relief. The nose and breasts are remarkable well-achieved in high relief.
- As a result of these innovations, product of Dolores Porras inspiration we can mention an iconic work Las Vendedoras or the Sellers. Dolores named them. These are female figures approximately eight feet high, which in their structure represent women accompanied by-products, whose attitude reflects the action of selling also handicrafts as clay pots.
- This bowl is an important piece of Mexican pottery. What a great piece of Dolores Porras to have in your home.