Ceramic Nagual Mexican Folk Art Handmade/Painted Cesar Lucano "Pig in Submarine"
- Nagual Pig in Submarine
- Tall- 5"
- Long- 7 1/2"
- Wide- 4 1/2"
- Crazy, gorgeous and bright colors complete this Betus/Nagual. The pig or dog is in a colorful submarine.
- These fantasy "Betus/Naguals are visions from the mind of Award winning Potter Cesar Lucano, grandson of Master potter Balbino Lucano.
- César Alfredo Lucano Siordia began his current career working in clay by making clay puppets for his nephews. Leaving video games behind, he found an outlet for his creativity in clay and papier-mâché. César is mostly self-taught as his grandfather, a petatillo (cross-hatch design) artisan, passed away when he was very young.
- He worked diligently for a full year to learn bit by bit how to work with clay and began by making masks, his puppets, or whatever he could think of while researching techniques from all over Mexico.
- He was saddened by how artisan techniques are being lost and this knowledge inspired him to keep working in clay. Working alone, César designs, creates, and paints his figures. His cycling papier-mâché Catrina won a sculpture contest in Tlaquepaque during the Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games. Entitled "Maria the Cyclist". He also won First Place at the 6ª Concurso Nacional del Juguete (Toy) Popular Mexicano 2017.
- Although he enjoys working with papier mache, he devotes almost all of his time to working and continue his education in the art of clay, mainly making his puppets and alcancías (banks). He uses traditional methods with a touch of innovation, mixing techniques, such as a puppet made of clay painted with acrylics or oils. He also uses the polychromatic (several colors) technique with beeswax or lacquer and adds designs using horsehair, bone, etc., whatever the piece “tells” him it needs. (Ferida Maestro del Arte)
- The origin of barro betus dates back to colonial times and is surrounded by myths. The most popular pieces of art are the colorful Nahual figures with the reputation of coming from a magical world. Nagual or Nahual (both pronounced [na'wal]) is a human being who has the power to magically turn himself or herself into an animal form, most commonly donkey, turkey and dogs, but also other and more powerful animals.
- WONDERFUL ADDITION TO ANY HOME OR AS A GIFT FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL.