Large Ceramic Owl Vessel/Jar Potter Ventura Benitez Mexican Folk Art Décor
- Master Potter J. Ventura Hernandez Benitz Ceramic Vessel/Jar
- Height- 18"
- Width- 10"
- Length- 13"
- Opening- 3 3/4"
- Opening on head- 3"
- This beautiful owl vessel/jar has hand painted Pre Hispanic symbols. Ventura has hand added an owl head with lovely designs. There is a spout on the back of the owl jar. The vessel colors are monochromatic. From dark browns to light browns. There are also gray tones on the vessel. There is a beautiful star shape on the bottom of vessel.
- While both Santa Clara and Cuanajo are located in close proximity to Lake Pátzcuaro, other towns and villages farther away also have their own native crafts. In Zinapécuaro, J. Ventura Hernández Benítez remains solidly committed to his ceramic business as he has been for 40 years.
- The workshop's rustic brick walls hold up a corrugated metal roof, beneath which his creations seemed to gestate in the heat. Homemade plaster molds and their offspring - pots, vases and pitchers that required weeks of labor - lay about the shop in the hypnotic chaos of a true artisan. Small ceramic pumpkins sat on the concrete floor in front of a shelf loaded with vases covered with images of skeletons dressed in fiesta garb, geometric patterns of terraces and triangles, stylized dogs and monkeys. Pots in subtle shades of dark red ocher, greenish umber and bluish gray sat nearby.
- This vessel will be a wonderful addition to any home or as a special gift for someone special.