Ceramic on Wood Hanging Jaguar Plaque Mexican Fine Folk Art Master Ceramicist
- Incredible Jaguar Hanging Plaque
- Height- 11 1/4"
- Wide- 16 3/4"
- Thick- 2"
- This beautiful jaguar hanging plaque was made by award winning potter/ceramist Adrian Martinez.
- The jaguar has a special meaning in ancient Mexican lore.
- In Mayan mythology, the jaguar was seen as the ruler of the Underworld, and as such, a symbol of the night sun and darkness. There were Mayan priests called Balam who officiated at only the most important ceremonies. Along with the Aztecs and Mayans, the Inca also built temples to the jaguar.
- Adrian is a sculptor, ceramicist, and a traditional artisan of the town of Santa Maria de Atzompa, Oaxaca, Mexico. The town is known for traditional ceramics practices that have continued for thousands of years without interruption.
- He is the son of Ana Maria Alarzon, Master ceramics teacher and founder of Taller Coatlicue, the family studio also located in Atzompa. Together with his mother, father, and brothers, Adrian works using varied ceramics techniques, keeping alive ancestral techniques that the combine with contemporary practices.
- At the age eleven, Adrian began to learn about clay, watching his parents and family create magnificent works of art. Adrian had the knowledge of ceramics in his genes. Adrian was preceded by seven generations of ancestor ceramicists.
- We met Adrian and were so impressed with his knowledge of the arts and ceramics techniques from the chemistry of the materials. He is filled with knowledge of his ancestors and their customs from ancient times. We were honored to listen to this incredible young master.
- Zapotec by birth, Adrian has reached artistic heights exhibiting and presenting his art. He has presented solo exhibitions, participated in group exhibitions, and taught workshops in the highly respected Museums of Mexico City and internationally.
- Adrian is world famous, he has had exhibitions in Mexico, Europe and throughout the world. His works can be found in museums, in books acknowledging his works and in private collectors home.
- We will make sure the bat is extremely well packed and insured.